Episode 1: Who am I? and Why a Podcast For Birth Workers?
Nov 21, 2019
Hello, I'm Erin Underwood!
Whether you're a midwife, doula, OBGYN, or labor and delivery nurse I'm passionate about supporting you as you support others! In this first episode I share my journey and my "why" behind this endeavor to create a community for education and support for anyone serving in the birthing community.
Topics covered in this episode:
- My background in movement and teaching
- How motherhood affected my body
- My healing process from diastasis recti and pelvic organ prolapse
- My work in teaching functional movement to the pre/postnatal community
- My experience attending Katy Bowman' Pregnancy Ecology weekend workshop.
- How attending a birth this summer dramatically shifted my focus and brought the birthing community to the forefront of my heart and mind.
- My work shifted focus to expand into supporting the birth worker community
- My experience teaching self care for Birth Workers workshops- how they say they know they struggle with self care, but they also struggle to make it happen, they are the epitome of a caretaker, which is beautiful, but the community at large needs our birth workers to have a sustainable model where they don’t burn out.
- 32% of birth workers want to quit the profession. While I don’t have all the answers or a quick fix, community and not feeling alone, having resources available can be massive supporters.
- There’s this saying ( and I think this is a reflection on the entire birth community) that midwifes don’t do the work, the mother does. Let’s dissect this and it’s implications.
- Your work matters. Heart work, empathic work, service work is hard, rewarding, traumatic and beautiful. My heart is to champion the birth worker community and to highlight powerhouses in this community and discuss ideas that are often neglected.
- My passion is to create a space for conversations where we hear other professionals share about their powerful work, create community for sharing resources and cheering each other on in this work.
I also created the Four Shifts for a Stronger Back Guide- This PDF walks you through the four ways we can make postural shifts using my biomechanics lens and I make it super practical to implement right now! Click here to get your copy today.