Episode 22: Prenatal & Postnatal Education Specialist - Jenny Burrell
Have you ever wondered why movement modalities and soft tissue therapies seems to be categorized in separate spaces?
The woman I got to talk to in today’s podcast does an amazing job and integrating both of these modalities together for a powerfully healing combination for her patients!
We got to cover so much ground in todays episode, from understanding the postpartum period, scar tissue release work, diastasis recti, how to support your clients emotionally without getting drained or burned out, balancing how we educate ourselves and how we educate our clients and knowing what is appropriate. Really we got into it all.
Jenny is simply put, wise. She’s a powerhouse entrepreneur driven by her passion to support women in all stages and I am deeply honored she agreed to come on to the podcast!
Jenny Burrell is the head of Burrell Education, one of the UK's leading-edge educators in the field of modern Pregnancy, Post Baby, 3rd Age (Peri-to Post-Menopause) and Female Fitness, Wellness, Massage + Bodywork Therapies. Burrell Education also stands alone in the UK as the only education company solely dedicated to creating and delivering education to professionals serving women throughout their major lifephases. They are an unashamedly female-focused education company. The Mission is to ensure that no woman gets left behind when it come to her being deeply educated about her own body and empower to be her own deepest advocate for her health in both good and challenging times.
When I created Burrell Education in 2007, my sole intention was and still is to REVOLUTIONIZE THE WAY WE, AS FITNESS AND WELLNESS PROFESSIONALS WORK IN WELLNESS, NUTRITION, SOFT-TISSUE THERAPY AND FITNESS WITH PREGNANT, POST BABY AND PERI TO POST MENOPAUSAL WOMEN!
In this episode we cover:
- A bit about Jenny's back ground, how she came into the work she now does and how her business has evolved over the last 13 years.
- How the postpartum period is defined in general and why we might want to challenge some of those perspectives.
- What education do Jenny wishes was in place for birthing women to understand about the postpartum period.
- The tension that sometimes lies in between these ideal standards we might want to present to our clients and how to support the mama who is in the thick of it and needs super accessible and practical support without her feeling like she's failing before she's actually even started.
- Scar release- manual therapy
- Diastasis Rehab- not a one size fits all approach
- Being professional and keeping your distance emotionally with your clients and the tension that can create in this very relational supporting role that birth workers carry.
- How to you process and coach your coaching clients in processing knowing what is helpful and to try and not go into the place that is so easy to go into of oversharing and it is just too much for the client and it’s not helpful any more!
I could seriously talk with her all day and never get bored and keep learning and getting my perspectives challenged and stretched!
If you’re wanting to dig deeper into any of the topics we covered in today’s podcast, I highly recommend you follow her on her social media accounts as well as check out all the resources she has available on her website. If you’re wanting to deepen your knowledge, she probably has a resource that is just right for you!
I've also created 2 movement classes to support your immune system! If you're wanting to move your body in a supportive and accessible way at home, these are a fabulous place to start!
Can I ask you a favor? If you could pause and jump on over into your favorite podcast player and rate and review the Thriving Birth Worker Podcast? It’s a free and fast way you can support my continuing to find and bring some of the best minds in the business into your ears!
I’m so very grateful for you and this community! How you serve and continue to show up. Cheering you on as we move forward together!